Billings Montana City Code Article 27-707 (b) (16) (City Sign Code - Exemptins) regulates the placement of political signs on private property.
There are five basic rules to remember when placing political signs within the city limits:
1. You may post as many political signs as you want on any one property, so long as the total size of all signs added together do not exceed 32 square feet. The area should be computed based solely on the size of the sign, not the fact that there may be writing on each side of the sign.
2. Signs may not be placed on a boulevard, in a city right-of-way, on a utility pole or on the roof of a structure. Signs placed in city right-of-ways will be removed by the City Code Enforcement Officers. Officers will contact candidates so signs may be retrieved.
3. Signs over 30 inches in height must be outside of clear vision areas at street intersections, where driveways enter streets and at alley entrances.
4. Signs may not be over 6 feet in height from grade.
5. Permission of the property owner is required prior to placement of a political sign.
Time limits within the existing City Sign Code are not applicable due to recent court decisions.
If you have questions regarding political signs please call City Code Enforcement Officers:
Laurel Political Sign Laws
15.40.130 Subsection D
Non-illuminated political signs not to exceed sixteen square feet in sign area each. Such signs shall not be erected more than forty-five days prior to the election or referendum concerned and shall be removed ten days following such election or referendum.
Political signs may be placed on private property and only with the permission of the property owner.