Department Header for District Court
Yellowstone County, Montana
District Court
Pro Se Forms (Forms to file without an attorney) Contact Department

The Clerk of District Court does not provide pro se forms. We recommend using the Yellowstone County Self Help Law Center which is a free service provided by the Montana Supreme Court to assist people with civil, non-criminal legal problems. Their goal is to give you the information you need to understand your legal rights and responsibilities and to help you resolve your legal problems on your own if you cannot afford an attorney or if you choose not to hire one. While they cannot give you legal advice or represent you in court, they can provide you with legal information and direct you to resources that will help you help yourself.

The Yellowstone County Self Help Law Center CAN:

  • Give you information on Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce), Parenting (Custody), Consumer Debt, Guardianship of a Minor, Stepparent Adoption, Landlord/Tenant Issues, Name Changes and more

  • Answer general questions about the court process

  • Show you where to find State laws and regulations

  • Review court forms for completeness

The Yellowstone County Self Help Law Center CANNOT:

  • Give you legal advice

  • Explain a judicial decision

  • Refer you to a specific lawyer

  • Interpret the law of legal terms for you

  • Tell you which laws apply to the specific facts of your case

  • Fill out or correct forms for you

  • Assist in criminal matters

Yellowstone County Self Help Law Center
216 N. 29th Street
Billings, MT 59101
(406)869-3531 or (406)869-3532

Their forms were produced and approved by the Supreme Court Commission on Self-Represented Litigants, which is a part of the State Bar of Montana. These are the only forms they have available. If you wish to file any other type of case, you would need to consult with an attorney or prepare any documents yourself. If you prepare documents yourself, please be sure to follow the Uniform District Court Rule 1.

To download forms online, please visit the State Law Library and choose the forms you need. Most forms are free on this web site.




Dissolution forms are available through various sources online. The sellers may indicate that their forms meet Montana standards, but they are frequently incorrect. Please do not purchase forms online without first checking with our office to see if they are acceptable.


While the Clerk of District Court's office is pleased to assist you in any way possible, please understand that we are unable to provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney.